2013 Sno*Drift Rally Day One Updates
2013 Sno*Drift Rally Day One Updates
The Sno*Drift Rally season opener to the 2013 Rally America National Championship kicks into high gear admist fresh snow falling in Northern Michigan. Temps are cold, but teams are excited to start rally racing.
Rally America will bring you the latest updates so keep visiting this page as more information rolls in.
VIDEO: Check out the Sno*Drift Rally stage conditions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcLzCQN-fCw
PHOTOS: Parc Expose and action photos at http://www.rally-america.com/events/2013/SNODRIFT/photos
Updated January 25th at 7:50pm ET.
- After seeded draw the top five starters is Crazy Leo, Antoine L'Estage, Ken Block and David Higgins.
- Ken Block talks to Rally America at the Sno*Drift Rally Parc Expose https://soundcloud.com/rallyamerica/ken-block-park-expo and
- Subaru Rally Team USA's David Higgins talks Sno*Drift conditions https://soundcloud.com/rallyamerica/david-higgins-park-expo
- Rockstar Energy Drink Rally Team's Nathalie Richard, co-driver for Antoine L'Estage, gives a little insight into their newly refreshed Mitsubishi EVO X rally car https://soundcloud.com/rallyamerica/nat-rich-park-expo
- Ken Block was able to finish the second stage of the Sno*Drift National Rally, but wasn't able to restart the car due to an electrical problem. He may rejoin the race using the Super Rally option. Super Rally allows the driver to return to competition at the beginning of the second day. The driver will record the fastest stage time from the missing stages, but receives +5 minutes on top of the first stage missed, and +3 minutes for each additional stage missed. Super Rally rules can be found at this link: http://www.rally-america.com/RuleBulletin/Rule_Bulletin_2013_006.pdf
- Art Gruszka and Lukasz Wronski 2006 Mitsubishi EVO IX reported to be off the pace. More information coming soon.
- After four stages Subaru Rally Team USA's David Higgins and Craig Drew leads the Sno*Drift Rally by 12.2 seconds over Rockstar Energy Drink Rally Team's Antoine L'Estage and Nathalie Richard. Can-Jam Motorsports' Crazy Leo and Carl Williamson are in third place overall +2:55.3 behind the leader. Listen to Crazy Leo talk snow driving strategy with Rally America: https://soundcloud.com/rallyamerica/crazy-leo
- Subaru Rally Team USA entered the final MTC control zone with a damaged front right corner. It only looks like body damage. Crazy leo also arrived into the control zone with a broken right rear suspension.
- At the end of the first day David Higgns and Craid Drew have a precarious :00.5 second lead over Antoine L'Estage and Nathalie Richard! It's a classic Subaru versus Mitsubishi battle when we begin the second day of Sno*Drift on Saturday! Crazy Leo and Carl Williason is +5:03.6 minutes behind Higgins.
SUPER PRODUCTION CLASS
- 2012 Super Production Class Champions Lauchlin O'Sullivan and co-driver Scott Putnam were not able to complete their Subaru in time for Sno*Drift. That leaves an opening for another Super Production Class driver to take the early points advantage.
- David Sterckx and Karen Jankowski had gearbox problems on stage 2. They were not sure if they were going to complete stage 1 and the gearbox failed in transit to stage 2.
- Exedy Racing Clutches' Evan Cline and Jake Blattner now lead the Super Production Class after four stages. Nick Roberts in his first National event holds second place by 9 seconds over Mason Moyle. David Sterckx and Karen Jankowski may use the Super Rally option to return to competition on day 2 where they could manage a third place finish. Listen to class leader Evan Cline after four stages: https://soundcloud.com/rallyamerica/evan-cline-first-service
- Evan Cine and Jake Blattner lead the SP Class by +5:58.4 over Rally America newcombers Nick Roberts and Nick Judkins. Third place is Mason Moyle and John Hall +7:27.5 behind Cline.
TWO-WHEEL DRIVE CATEGORY
- 2012 Two-Wheel Drive Class Champion Chris Duplesiss wasn't able to arrive for this event and isn't expected to compete this year. However, 2WD runner-ups, Andrew Comrie-Picard and Jeremy Wimpey, are here with a completely revised Scion xD rally car. This is their chance to begin the season with a bang. The team didn't install their turbocharged motor for this event favoring lower horsepower for more snow traction. The Rally xD Racing Team will have their hands full against a huge contingent of Ford Fiestas and a Chris Greenhouse, a multiple Central Region Group 5 Champ.
- Scion Racing Rally xD's Andrew Comrie-Picard and Jeremy Wimpey lead the 2WD category by 30.4 seconds ahead of Ford Racing's Dillon Van Wayand Andrew Edwards. Chris Greenhouse and Phil Marsh remain in striking distance in third place in class +36.8 seconds behind the category leader. Listen to ACP's commentary about his car's performance: https://soundcloud.com/rallyamerica/acp-first-service
- Andrew Comrie-Picard and Jeremy Wimpey leads the 2WD Class in their Scion xD at the end of the first day 1:18.1 over Dillon Van Way and Andrew Edwards' turbcharged Ford Fiesta. In another Ford Fiesta, Edward McNelly and Ole Holter hold third place in class +8:42.6.
SNO REGIONAL RALLY
Congratulations to Evan Cline and Jake Blattner for winning the Sno Regional Rally! Jon Kramer and Adam Kimmett took second place and Peter and Maureen Hascher took third overall.
Photo: Aaron Pierce