Havoline is a popular motor oil brand with great products that offer adequate engine protection.
Formerly, it was owned by Texaco until 2001, when Chevron acquired Texaco but retained the brand name of Havoline products.
Therefore, the name has existed for quite a while – since the early 1900s. However, is Havoline good oil?
This thorough Havoline motor oil review will cover all the features and benefits of the product to help you make an informed decision when making Havoline oil comparisons.
Table of Contents
- Notable Features of Havoline Oil
- Types of Havoline Motor Oil
- Is Havoline Oil Worth It
Notable Features of Havoline Oil
There are various motor oil products under the Havoline brand, and each is tailored to suit the needs of different types of vehicles. They come in different viscosity grades applicable to varying driving conditions, weather, and engines.
These include some of the thinnest synthetic oils (0w-16), suitable for extremely cold starts and the modern high-performance turbocharged engine.
Havoline also has thicker, high-quality conventional oils (up to 20W-50), ideal for older engines, higher temperatures and loads.
Havoline motor oils are divided into six categories, and they all have some common features:
- Advanced additives and Deposit Shield Technology for protection against sludge and deposit buildup, corrosive agents, and metal-on-metal contact.
- Additives with cleaning properties to ensure smooth oil flow and quiet operations
- Fuel economy retention
- Prevents Low-Speed Pre-ignition (LSPI) in turbocharged engines, which can cause damage to parts such as spark plugs, cylinder walls, piston rings, and connecting rods.
However, the similarities end there, and each Havoline motor oil has unique features and benefits. Here’s a deeper look at them.
Types of Havoline Motor Oil
These are the different variants of Havoline motor oil.
1. Havoline PRO-RS Renewable Full Synthetic
The Havoline PRO-RS Renewable Full Synthetic is an eco-friendly motor oil designed with the environment in mind.
Here are some of its benefits:
- It is a USDA-certified plant-based oil that utilizes pure hydrocarbon molecules. As a result, it is free of undesirable wax and has less volatility than traditional oils.
- It has excellent emission control and low carbon intensity.
- It helps retain fuel economy for longer than most synthetic motor oils.
- It has excellent thermal protection and lubrication properties, which ensure the oil is protected against breakdown and maintains its viscosity for longer.
- Meets various automotive industry standards such as dexos1 Gen 3 specification and ILSAC GF-6/ API SP.
Havoline PRO-RS Renewable Full Synthetic is recommended for vehicles requiring synthetic motor oils, cars with turbochargers and direct injection engines, and hybrids.
Viscosity range: 0W-16, 0W-20, 5W-30, 5W-20
2. Havoline PRO-DS Full Synthetic Motor Oil
This Havoline motor oil is made of synthetic base oils and special additives that enhance its performance. Its benefits include:
- Cleaning booster additives that prolong the engine’s longevity. It also ensures the engine stays clean and protected from sludge and deposit buildups.
- Anti-wear capabilities and friction modifiers to protect the engine parts from grinding against each other
- Antioxidant additives prevent the oil from breaking down easily, giving you adequate and longer engine protection.
- Meets standards such as dexos1 Gen 3, ILSAC GF-6, and API SP
Havoline ProDs Full Synthetic is applicable to vehicles where synthetic oil is recommended, such as high-performance passenger cars, pickup trucks, SUVs, and sprinter vans with turbochargers.
Viscosity range: SAE 0W-16, 0W-20, 5W-30, 5W-20, 5W-40, 10W-30, and EURO 5W-40
3. Havoline Motor Oil
Havoline motor oil is a conventional oil designed to offer adequate lubrication and protect older engines under normal and harsh driving conditions.
Its benefits include:
- Protecting engine parts such as the bearings and camshaft against wear and oxidation
- Prevents sludge buildups and thermal breakdown
- Three-way catalyst protection for emission control
- Prevents LSPI
Havoline motor oil is suitable for cars that require API SP and GF-6 or previous standards.
Viscosity range: 20W-50, 10W-30, 10W-40, 30
3. Havoline High Mileage Synthetic Technology Motor Oil
This synthetic motor oil is specially designed for high-mileage vehicles that have run 75,000 miles or more. However, it can also be used in other cars, especially those exposed to harsh driving conditions.
Such engines have special needs, and Havoline High Mileage motor oil benefits them in the following ways:
- It does not evaporate easily at high temperatures and offers excellent cold-start at -30°C (Havoline 5w30) and -35°C (0w-30).
- It has additives that protect the seals, hence reducing leakages.
- It offers better fuel economy and suits high-mileage and newer cars.
- It prevents LSPI in turbocharged engines.
It is recommended for use in vehicles that require API SP, ILSAC GF-6, or S category oils.
Viscosity range: SAE 0W-20, 10W-30, 5W20, 5W-30
4. Havoline Synthetic Technology Motor Oil
This is a synthetic motor oil designed for modern engines that are more powerful.
It offers advanced protection against wear and corrosion, as well as low-speed pre-ignition like many other Havoline oils.
Additionally, it cleans the engine and prevents piston deposits to keep the oil from entering the combustion chamber.
Havoline synthetic oil also offers excellent cold-start performance at -30℃ (5w-30) and -35℃ (0w-20). Further, it provides better fuel economy as compared to conventional motor oils.
It is recommended for modern cars, including those with turbocharged engines, SUVs, and light truck engines that require API SP, ILSAC GF-6, or previous specifications.
Viscosity range: SAE 0W-20, 5W-30
5. Havoline Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
Havoline synthetic blend oil offers better engine protection than conventional oils and flows better at low temperatures, allowing better cold starts.
It has wear protection, LSPI prevention, and fuel economy retention as well, though not as excellent in these areas as Synthetic Technology and Pro-DS Full Synthetic formulations.
This motor oil is recommended for passenger cars, SUVs, light trucks, motorcycles, powerboats, and other equipment that require API SP and GF-6 or previous standards.
Viscosity range: SAE 5W-20, 5W-30
Havoline motor oil prices range from $22 to $36 for a 6-quart container, depending on the type, while a quart starts from around $5.
The conventional Havoline motor oil is the most affordable, while the Havoline PRO-RS Renewable Full Synthetic sells at a higher price.
7. Pros and Cons
Since we have effectively captured the benefits of various Havoline motor oils, let’s look at some cons.
- The Deposit Shield Protection makes it slightly more pricey.
- There have been some complaints about online purchases being delivered with the bottle not well-sealed and partially filled.
Is Havoline Oil Worth It
Yes. Havoline motor oil is one of the best, with additives that enhance engine protection, longevity, and fuel economy. Several users have left great reviews online after using it.
Havoline Motor Oil has stood the test of time and continues to offer outstanding engine protection.
With their continuous revolution to develop products that cater to demanding modern cars while enhancing the longevity of older engines, Havoline’s popularity with vehicle owners remains.
So, is Havoline good oil? Yes, it is!
Working with Vernon and Ryley has been a great experience for me. Together with the rest of the team, I hope to create reliable and useful information for our readers, no matter where they are and their experience with car maintenance.